Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Loving Story (as told by Maureen)

Picture this from more than fifty years ago:

    Our car is parked across the street from the school. I am sitting in the driver's seat and Mother is beside me. Three-year-old Billy is standing on the back seat and leaning on the back of my seat. Five-year-old Kathleen is beside him.

    We are waiting for seven-year-old Mary to get out of school. As we sit watching, a little girl with long blonde hair comes skipping out. "Here she comes," says my mother.

    "No, that can't be her. She doesn't have a dress like that," say I.

    Another little girl comes skipping out.  "There she is!" says Mother.

    "No," I say.  "I didn't braid her hair today."

    Forgetting what she had worn to school that day, I recognize a dress on the next skipping blond girl.  "That's her," I say.

    This time it is Mother's turn.  "That can't be Mary.  I ironed that dress today."

    After two or three more skipping rejects, that sweet little boy reaches forward and brushes my cheek with his little fingers.  "Don't worry, Mommy," he says.  "We'll know her by her face."

    Now, whenever I think of Billy, I remember the Benediction:

    "May The Lord bless you and keep you.  May The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you.  May The Lord lift up his countenance and give you peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment